Pagine

martedì 13 marzo 2012

FAUST - From Glory To Infinity (MetalCrypt 76\100)


The brainchild of Aleister, former touring guitarist for Ancient, Faust released an EP wayyy back in 2001 that got some good press, and this is their debut album, released after 17 years in existence, From Glory To Infinity. I have never heard their EP, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect, as I know this band is considered rather technical, and does in fact feature bass legend Steve DiGiorgio as a session member.
The first thing that struck me about this was the degree of melody to be found. I was expecting something very busy and technical, which it is, but this is not as brutal as I expected, and has a lot of hooks. In places it is a little too melodic, and seems at odds with the guttural vocals and blasting drum work, as on "Golden Wine Countess". But overall the riffs are solid, and while the guitar sound is a bit restrained, that's obviously so the bass can be heard, as if you have Steve freaking DiGiorgio, you don't want to waste him. The leads are pretty damned good, though they are mixed a bit louder than I would like. Overall this is an entertaining disc of techy Death Metal, obviously influenced by the jazzy stylings of Cynic and Atheist, but not as wanky and busy as that would imply. High-speed drumming keeps the energy level up, and despite that this features many elements I am suspicious of, I enjoy this album. Worthy.



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento